FAQ (Insurance)

General Information
What insurance benefits are local students entitled to?

Besides Group Personal Accident (GPA) Insurance which all students are entitled, full-time local students are also eligible to join the Optional Hospital & Surgical Benefits Plan on a voluntary basis. Details of various insurance plans for students can be found here.

Where can I obtain more information about various insurance plans for students?

You may refer to below for more information about the Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme for Non-local Students and the Travel Insurance for Exchange-out Students.

As for the Group Personal Accident (GPA) Insurance administered by the University’s Finance Office (FO) and the Travel Insurance for Exchange-in Students administered by the Office of Global Learning(OGL), you may approach FOOGL respectively for more information.

Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme for Non-local Students - Scheme Related Questions
Who are eligible for the Scheme?

The University policy stipulates that compulsory medical insurance is required for all registered full-time degree-seeking non-local undergraduate and postgraduate students studying at HKUST on student visa/entry permit. (Registered full-time local students may join the Scheme on a voluntary basis, further details can be found here.)

If I have my own medical insurance, can I opt out?

To avoid coverage gaps, non-local students holding other medical insurance policies cannot be exempted. The compulsory medical insurance fee cannot be reduced, waived, deferred or refunded. This also applies to students who are going on overseas exchange in Fall or Spring semester and students whose tuition fee are settled by scholarships.

What does the Compulsory Medical Insurance cover? Does it cover dental benefits?

The Compulsory Medical Insurance covers Hospital & Surgical benefits, Outpatient benefits and Extended Accidental Medical benefits. However, dental benefits are not being covered by the current Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme.

Can I claim my general outpatient consultation expenses from the Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme?

General outpatient consultation is not being covered under the current Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme (except for consultation in A&E department of Hong Kong hospitals which is extended to be covered under Specialist’s Consultation benefits with effective from 1 Sep 2015.) Students can enjoy free general consultation services at the University medical clinic.

Can my spouse and children enroll into this Medical Insurance Scheme?

Students' dependants staying in Hong Kong with the student could participate in the Optional Medical Insurance plan entitling to the same coverage of Hospital & Surgical Benefits and the Outpatient Benefits in this scheme. Enrolment Form (click here; Under "Important Information" Section, point (d)) should be sent to the insurance company direct.

Compulsory Medical Insurance Scheme for Non-local Students - Claim Related Questions
Where can I obtain the policy number, insured number and my Certificate of Insurance?

You can obtain the policy number and your own insured number on the Certificate of Insurance which can be downloaded at the Blue-Cross E-platform. Please refer to the log-in instruction for first-time account activation.

Where can I download the claim forms?

Respective claim forms can be downloaded here.

How should I make a claim?

Medical claims should be submitted to the insurance company directly by post within 90 days from clinical visit/ hospital discharge. Original medical receipts with diagnosis have to be attached with the claim form for submission. Photocopy of referral letters are also required for Specialist’s Consultation claim (starting from 1 Sep 2015, referral letter is waived for Physiotherapy and Chiropractic treatment during claims submission).

Travel Insurance for Exchange-out Students - Before Exchange
Can I join the University’s travel insurance Scheme if I am going to participate in some short-term overseas program/ internship?

The Scheme only covers students who participate in overseas exchange programs organized by Schools/Departments. If you are going to participate in some self-arranged activities/ internship overseas, please arrange your own travel insurance. You may also consider subscribing the optional travel insurance plan on voluntary basis if it is a University organized activity.

What should I do if I find the coverage of the University’s travel insurance Scheme is insufficient?

If you find the coverage of the University’s travel insurance Scheme is insufficient for your personal insurance needs, you may consider topping up the insurance level with other insurance plans of your own choice.

What should I do if my exchange institution requires me to subscribe another insurance plan?

Since insurance requirements vary among countries and exchange institutions, you may need to approach your exchange institution to check if the coverage of the University’s travel insurance Scheme is sufficient. You may need to arrange/ subscribe another insurance plan if necessary.

How can I obtain certification of insurance for my visa application?

You can apply for a travel insurance certificate by completing the application form and send it to